The Economy is controlled by 1%, But 0.06% Control Peanuts


Touching wood I’m pleased to say I have no allergies. I touch wood because I understand they can develop later in life. When my brothers and I were young and mentioned that so-and-so had an allergy our mother would tell us we couldn’t afford to have allergies. I must admit that in retrospect it did seem it was the kids from better-off families who had the allergies.

Of course now, like nuclear waste, peanut butter, in fact peanuts in any form, are verboten within several miles of school buildings.

Growing up the classic peanut butter sandwich was a staple in school lunchrooms. Every second kid seemed to have some peanut butter based sarnie in his or her lunch box; perhaps with jelly, or mayonnaise, straight up, or the Elvis favourite peanut butter and banana.

Of course now, like nuclear waste, peanut butter, in fact peanuts in any form, are verboten within several miles of school buildings. What ever did this tasty little legume do to be ousted from its place of prominence?

They say that the US economy is controlled by the top 1%, the super rich. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases 0.6% of the population of the United States is allergic to peanuts. Just over a half of one percent, yet EpiPens are as plentiful in schools as are fire extinguishers. For the other 99.4 percent of the population to adapt to the peanut allergy is damn big of us.

Last May in a restaurant, Le Tapageur, in Sherbrooke, Québec, a small town east of Montreal, Simon-Pierre Canuel informed his waiter that he was severely allergic to seafood and salmon. He asked the waiter to make this very clear to the kitchen staff. He then ordered steak tartare, that ground beef served raw and seasoned concoction.

Salmon tartare Beef tartare

Salmon tartare Beef tartare

Well, the waiter either had a very mean streak, or made a human error because he brought Canuel salmon tartare.  Maybe the waiter, who has not been named, was conducting a scientific experiment to see if Canuel was really going to react. If that was the case he sure got his money’s worth as Canuel went into anaphylactic shock, cardiac arrest and was in a coma for two days.

It seems to me that if you have such a severe allergy it might be best to avoid all restaurants where the possibility of encountering the offending food is present.

Evidently the restaurant was dimly lit and Canuel did not notice the salmon. I have to assume his sense of smell is also off as one would assume the two tartares have different aromas.

Canuel is now considering bringing legal charges against the waiter who has been arrested. It seems to me that if you have such a severe allergy it might be best to avoid all restaurants where the possibility of encountering the offending food is present. Humans being human mistakes are always possible. Why take the chance?

DCS_Grad_2 DCMontreal – Deegan Charles Stubbs – is a Montreal writer born and raised who likes to establish balance and juxtapositions; a bit of this and a bit of that, a dash of Yin and a soupçon of Yang, some Peaks and an occasional Frean and maybe a bit of a sting in the tail! Please follow DCMontreal on Twitter and on Facebook, and add him on Google+
Advertisements

One thought on “The Economy is controlled by 1%, But 0.06% Control Peanuts

  1. DC,
    I read that story about the waiter with some interest. I have to say that I had never heard of an allergy to salmon or any fish and I thought that I was reasonably well read on allergies. So, I do wonder if punitive legal action against the waiter is warranted unless it is shown that he had acted deliberately. Still, can’t really say much from thousands of miles away except that you really should never joke about a peanut free zone. You can’t imagine how much that causes anxiety amongst squirrels.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s